Saturday 11 October 2008

Homage Horror

I was watching Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2008) last night, and it got me reflecting upon the recent surge of "homage horror". You know the kind, man; films that attempt to emulate the conventions of a certain brand of horror, be it a sub-genre/decade. And I know, sometimes it vomits up the dead-horse debate of originality -- surely this rehash of old ideas, cliches is just a stage below remakes? And I'm not the biggest fan of remakes. Ooh, Michael Bay, how I'd fuckin' LOVE to slap you across the kisser with a massive, slimy trout. Hey, you thought I was above idle threats? Well, you were wrong! Heck, even Uwe Boll has some not-so-nice things to say about Michael. They should totally do a charity event together, like a boxing match. I'd donate.


Yes, Michael, I most certainly would!

Anyway, I actually dig homage horror. I understand the plight regarding first-time filmmakers and their desire to project a story harking back to their youth. Which I'm sure they'll be happy to note. I think it's a sweet, heartwarming affair: passionate filmmakers, not corrupted by the lure of Hollywood, wanting to create a film specifically for horror fans. Sigh, it's romantic.

Recent horror films paying homage which I loved:

Grindhouse (2007)
Okay, so Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's joint venture pretty much flopped -- a fact that still irks me today: the films were torn apart for release in Britain, and our local cinema didn't even show Planet Terror! Oh, but they had the nerve to show Bratz (2007). Cineworld I may park my ass in your seats, and savour your popcorn, but you're still a heartless bastard!

The trailer for Grindhouse is one of my favourites, and spent a good few months circulating around my Myspace. It sets the tone and general kick-ass fun of the film.




Slither (2006)
An ode to Writer/Director James Gunn's favourite horror films. Slither is a sci-fi, horror comedy with elements of Night of the Creeps (1986), The Blob (1958), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), Shivers (1975), Society (1989) and many more. The film follows fan favourite, Nathan Fillion, a sheriff as he battles against slug-like aliens who've invaded his home town.


Hatchet (2006)
Echoing the gore-drenched slasher flicks of the 80s, Hatchet proudly describes itself as "Old school American horror", literally on its sleeve. Kane Hodder and Robert Englund also have cameos, with Hodder doubling up his roles as villain, Victor Crowley, a particularly savage guy, who's prone to ripping his victims a part with his bare hands.

And also to note is Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2008). Expect a review coming soon. If you haven't seen it, then I heartily recommend that you do so.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man that Grindhouse movie looks frikin amazing.
And to make it so much better, that Rose McGowan is in both Death Proof and Planet Terror.
I'm gonna go buy it now Voodoun.
I might buy Hatchet too, Gory American Slasher

M Shaw said...

Alan,

You're the freakin' best.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :D

But I reckon you're be freakin amazingly talented at writing.
I can envision what your saying.
Aceness.

Anonymous said...

Alan,

That's sweet . . . *cough" overkill *cough*

Ric His said...

Man, Some of the best horror movies are the Hammer Horror ones.
By far cinema classsics, if you like bloody horror that is.

Anonymous said...

I love homage horror - that's not to say some of them don't suck, or that all of them are original though. As with all homages, you need to be smart and add something fresh in order for it not to feel like a retread. It's not enough to just reference other material.

Also, though I'm sure many will disagree, I thought Hatchet was crap. "Old School American Horror" my ass.

Slither, on the other hand, is ace. That made me very happy.

M Shaw said...

I think my friends and I were the only ones that showed up to see Slither on opening night. That's just a sad story all round, isn't it? Urgh.

Yeah, I thought Hatchet was cool. Then again, I was severely drunk while watching it, and even more so towards the end.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.